This forum post is dead-on. For those who cannot click through:
- Legendary items and skirmish soldiers are similar systems, providing post-cap advancement, customization, and grind.
- Soldiers win on customization. They provide full control, unlike the mostly random LIs, letting you customize to your playstyle. Many said that everyone would build the same LI, but on soldiers we see every possible class/soldier combination with many differences in traits. (Unmentioned: there is some chance of a trend away from customization, towards optimization in the future, especially if there is one clear best or worst.)
- Soldiers win on permanence. While you mulch hundreds of “legendary” items looking for a good one (or to get relics for that good one), you get one soldier. You do not trade out your soldier every five levels for a higher DPS one. You just pay for him to be a higher level.
- Skirmishes are just better than the item xp quests. They are more interesting. (I will say that the Dolven-view instances remain interesting, but then you have quests like mirror and bounty runs that have long-distance travel for one click or fight, respectively.)
Basically, take that soldier trait screen and give us the same sort of thing for LIs. Others add:
- I really wanted a legendary weapon, but I hate the system added. I never wanted a soldier, but I love the system added.
- Cosmetic options! You can make the soldiers look like what you want. Let me customize my weapon’s appearance!
“Basically you get a weapon, or a piece of armour or a shield and it has it’s own advancement path. It has XP. It has Deeds. You grow it, almost like a pet alongside you. Your Glamdring that has it’s own history.” – Jeffery Steefel, March 14th, 2008
I still wonder if people will get tired of skirmishes, only having about a dozen, they way they do with the hundreds of City of Heroes missions.