Today I will have written at Kill Ten Rats for a year and a day. It is by far the longest I have ever solidly written for a blog, and I love every minute of it. I was going to write out some huge what-I’ve-learned exposition, but I like bullet points. We all like bullet points, right?
- Never underestimate the power of the words “I think” or “in my opinion.”
- Getting to know people in the industry is easier than you think, but it requires trust and patience (and sometimes travel).
- We are not a news site, yet I feel sometimes the need to rush out “hot” posts. I feel they are my worst ones.
- Always give credit where it is due. If another blog jogged your thought process give them a link.
- I don’t think I could write my own blog. I need the community and other active contributers here. My writing wouldn’t be anywhere as good as it is today without constantly reading Zubon’s posts.
- Ethic should write more, especially about Fallen Earth. Otherwise put up a Twitter sidebar because you write there. :)
- Our commentors are the best. They are intelligent and keep us honest, especially Bonedead.
- Write about what you love and want to share. Don’t write for hits.
- The best way of letting people know about your blog is to comment on others’.
- Intelligent armchair quarterbacks are okay, but constructive player opinions and stories are best. Unless you are a developer, you don’t need to give answers to problems you see.