[City of Villains] I am finding City of Villains to be quite a bit more fun than City of Heroes and I wanted to get a grasp on some of the possible reasons why. So I listed out some things I liked to see where it leads me.
1. New game: This one is simple; it is a new game and that brings all that is associated with it. Most every MMO seems fun during the learning phase. New shiny and all that.
2. Interesting settings: By this I mean the look and feel of the surroundings. While much of them are destroyed, the cities are filled with variety. Slums, docks, rubble, grafitti, etc. Haven’t really seen anything like it before.
3. Varied mission locations: I am enjoying the variety of missions. A boat, bank robberies, snake pits, casinos, etc.
4. New classes: I’ve played two of the more popular classes so far; the mastermind and the stalker. Mastermind is a pretty typical pet class, but one of the fun things here as that as you go up in level you get more pets (quantity) as well as some additional types of pet (quality). Summoning the pets are fun too. Robots drop from the sky in a box and assemble. Mercenaries repel from a rope. Ninjas kind of just appear out of the shadows. Zombies crawl up from the ground. Stalker is a fun stealth class. Sneak up and do a major critical hit on whatever you are fighting. Plus, travel is rather safe as most everything ignores you. Some missions I just ran past everything to get to the guy I’m supposed to take out. It all depends on how much time I want to spend on the mission. Next up I’m going to play a Brute. Brutes are kind of like a berzerker in my opinion. You’ll do more damage the longer you fight. You see a crowd and you get excited. You are not a tank, so you can’t survive forever, but talk about beat down city.
5. Bases: I guess this works in CoH as long as you own CoV, but our supergroup has a base. Cool.
6. Newspaper: Any time I am not sure what to do, I can read my newspaper to find a mission. It seems they are really spending a lot of time creating cool stories and I am enjoying this aspect of finding a mission.
7. Solo play: It seems all the classes can solo pretty well, and yet they all seem to mesh together nicely in a group. No real traditional roles, no “healer”, no “tank”. But it works well.
City of Heroes was fun, but it left me bored pretty quick. It felt like I was doing the same thing over and over. So far in City of Villains I don’t feel that. But perhaps it’s all down to point number 1. Only time will tell me if this game really is any more fun than CoH.
I know there are a few people reading this that play CoV, what do you think?